Errors MQ2 Crash with really long messages from the server
MQ2 Crash with really long messages from the server
Looking at the Underfoot source I see that most of the buffers used to parse text coming from the server seem to use this for their size.

#define MAX_STRING 2048

Any chance of increasing this to 4096 to match the longest message that will be sent from the emu through Client::Message()?
Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:33 pm
That constant is used in hundreds, possibly thousands of different spots in the MQ client. The impact of changing that value would be highly unpredictable.
Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 am
Project Lead
In the latest Underfoot source available for download it is used ~569 times to allocate memory, all but one on the stack from what I can see. It is passed to a function, presumably as a buffer size, ~126 times.

I compiled with the change and didn't see any issues, although my testing was not exhaustive by any measure. Since all but one of the allocations are on the stack I would guess it wouldn't cause any issues, but I respect the desire not to make a huge change just to accommodate a minor edge case.

I could never catch the issue in the debugger, but through trial and error I was able to narrow it down and solve my particular issue by changing these 2 lines:

MQ2Emu_Underfoot_Source\MQ2Main\MQ2Globals.cpp(134):CHAR EventMsg[MAX_STRING*2]={0};
MQ2Emu_Underfoot_Source\MQ2Main\MQ2Globals.h(143):LEGACY_VAR CHAR EventMsg[MAX_STRING*2];

I would guess that it probably crashes here:

VOID CheckChatForEvent(PCHAR szMsg)
{
strcpy(EventMsg,szMsg);

If you're interested in duplicating the issue yourself, you can log into a server running v2049 or later with a GM account and type #mysql query "select * from items where id = 1001"

If it silently ignored those long lines, maybe by using strncpy or strcpy_s instead of popping up the crash dialog it would be helpful for those times when I forget to unload MQ2. I suppose I could also switch over to using my own compiled version, but there are a couple of plugins in the distribution that I never got around to compiling myself.

Anyway, thanks for the response. If I had thought about it a little more instead of shaking my fist and cursing mq2 I would have realized it's not exactly a reasonable request. :)
Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm
It's not a crazy request or anything =)

I'll make a note to add your changes into the next rebuild of mq2main.dll. Tweaking those two specific vars shouldn't be to big a deal. More-so if you have been using it and it doesn't seem broken.

Have you encountered any places where a non-GM account might be surprised by a crash?
Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:24 pm
Project Lead
Oh, with all the plugins added into the project including the ones with private source code the count was 1542 instances. =)
Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm
Project Lead
I can't think of any place where the server would generate such a long string other than from some of the # commands. I'd guess if it was a common thing there would be more complaints. :)
Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 pm
strcpy_s is easiest solution here; the client (even live) is still set to 2048 string size allocation. EQEMU likes to send a lot of non-standard data, and most of the opcodes are still utilizing the same original structure when they were initially mapped out so many years ago. There are a lot of instances where EQEMU is sending something as an uint16, when it should be an int8. I don't think anyone is really interested in investing enough hours into fixing it all. I started on the task a while ago, and was suggesting changes to Secrets but I never saw any of it actually get committed.
Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am
I thought the client might have a length restriction on parsing data, but I tested the Underfoot client with 4000 bytes strings and it displayed them properly. It's possible that earlier clients had different restrictions, but I didn't test those.
Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 pm
Errors MQ2 Crash with really long messages from the server