General Macros, HELP and OPINIONS WANTED
Macros, HELP and OPINIONS WANTED
Well, I had always intended to just share macros for free but it seems like that doesn't give much of an incentive to share. I have noticed that on sites that require you to share a macro or provide help that more information gets posted.

I have been tossing around the idea of moving the macros into a private area. I do still want to have a path for people who don't think they have the know-how to write something useful for others. Here is my plan:

Set up a private group that requires an invite to join.

Users can gain access to the group by posting a macro, primarily. A mod or myself will then give that user access to the group and the macro forum. The mod or myself will move their submission into the private area (or possibly leave public).

I've been thinking of other methods to gain access to the group such as anyone who has a gold membership (even temporarily) could post in the gold section and request access. This would be permanent access.

Perhaps even linking our site on your guild forums, or helping out in some other fashion could be a way to gain access.

What I could use from you guys is:
what do you think of the idea?
What other methods would be nice to see?
Would anyone with a good amount of macro knowledge want to be the group mod? (this would come with full board/membership access)
Last edited by Maudigan on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:15 pm
Project Lead
Hi Maudingan,

I have a couple ideas that may be helpful.

If you want to share macros for free, we could post some publicly that are dependent on plugins only provided in your gold package - though I'd have to check and see if there are plugins I use in Gold that aren't in the regular download.

I would be happy to share some macros I have written with other members, especially for the benefit of peer review fixes and optimizations. I'm by no means a pro at this, but I do write macros that work and do what they are supposed to. I'm all for some sort of sharing section.

As far as how to gain access? I think posting a macro - at least one that is useful and original, or by paying to become a gold member, would work for everyone who is part of the community here.

So yes, I think it's a great idea, I'd love to see more sharing of macros here and was planning on posting some of my own. The only reasons I haven't posted any yet is because they are continually evolving, and I wasn't sure how Maudigan felt about amateurs posting their projects.
Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:08 pm
Project Member (Retired)
I program all day, every day with only an odd network system every couple months. I must be crazy to then also program in my off time.

I do not like pay for stuff for emu. I have just recently started posting the stuff I write because I want it to be out there for the emu community. I detest the MQ2 forums as it seems to be nothing but elitist vs noobs, and Itchy's site has basically nothing without paying for it (granted I only gave the site a 5 minute once over so I could be wrong).

I was about to go the route of compiling and building MQ2 myself when I seen Maudigan's build posted on the PEQ forum. I noted that you had a gold status and even a kill switch plugin. But after reviewing the plugins that were part of the distribution, I decided the PEQ builds were good enough for what I wanted and needed.

So many people I meet have pretty much no idea how things work, and with the attitude on the MQ2 forums I can see why people limp along with old and bad versions of autobot and modbot.

Not everyone is a programmer on the emu servers. But with a solid prepackaged system like your MQ2 builds it opens the system to those people.

I think a section like you are saying could exist, but each macro designer should be allowed to decide if his code should be left public or not.

My 2cp
Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:55 pm
Senior Project Member
That's a very good point, and makes a lot of sense. If someone wants their information to be public we should have a place for that.
Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 pm
Project Lead
To be clear, something like this?

Invite Macros: New forum section (restricted access)
Public Macros: current forum section

People with Gold access get Invite automatically and people who post/help/whatever mods deem worthy get can get added to invite access.

Having access to the Invite macros does not provide Gold Access so plugins that require Gold would still not function.
Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:43 pm
Senior Project Member
Right, citracas is going to help out it looks like.

I think the plan as it stands is
General->public macros
Special Members->private macros

You buy a single month of gold and you get permanent access to private macros on request. It wouldn't be automatic unless I wrote a script to add them. I do keep payment logs though so If 6 months down the line they requested it could still happen.

You could submit a macro, or help someone and citra/myself, or lord spaztic/TC(if they ever come back) could give them access if it was a worthwhile submission.

Of course other favors, or help with the site would be a reason too.... perhaps like submitting a nice UI or something.... I figured we'd just do that on a case by case basis.

We'll roll your idea in of letting them public/private nature of their submission be at their discretion.
Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 pm
Project Lead
General Macros, HELP and OPINIONS WANTED