Game Search How do you tell how important an item is?
How do you tell how important an item is?
Have a question that’s probably best asked of actual players.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to determine how important an item Is. Like if I was going to display the top item that an NPC drops how would you compare the items to decide what the most important item is. One idea I had was maybe forming a score based off of a composite of the items stats. Like if it was able to be equipped the average of the AC, mana and hit points or If it’s a spell the level to cast it, maybe the level to equip the item or even possibly the cost of the item. Another idea might be the level of the NPC that dropped the item, how rare the item is (the lower the drop chance the higher the importance of the item).

Alternatively, and it would take some extra coding, would it make the most sense to track how often an item is viewed on the site and use that as its popularity/importance score. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Edit: same question for NPC’s, some are marked rare, raid or have the # but not all of them.
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:41 pm
Project Lead
I put the framework in place today to start tracking the popularity of items, NPCs, zones, etc. based on page views. My hope is that data can be viewed as a representation of how important that item is to players.

I’m not sure what that will be used for yet, but it’ll take a couple or few months to aggregate the data needed anyway. Hopefully once it’s populated it’ll be apparent if it is a good indicator of importance, and that we’ll have a good idea of what to do with it.
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:42 pm
Project Lead
Game Search How do you tell how important an item is?