General Re-considering things.
Re-considering things.
The reason I created this site was that the entire EQEmu community relied heavily on other websites designed for EQLive to help them with their game play. Allakhazam, 13th floor, redguides, etc...

I intened this to be a place for everyone to meet. I hadn't anticipated the "purists" reaction to be as strong as it was, and I do feel incomplete without them enjoying the site. I'm not going to get into the argument of whats right/wrong in a game. I understand where everyone is coming from on both sides.

I have yet to truly choose a side. My side however has been chosen for me as providing services for "purists", and "cheaters" means the purists will have nothing to do with you. What I'm left with deciding is what group to side with. The "purists" who refuse to visit and hate all the "cheaters", and the "cheaters" that don't seem to hate much of anyone, visit the site frequently, and also help fund the hosting to keep me out of the red.

The obvious choice is to side with the current members who are active in this community, but I'm reminded of the reason why I started the site. A place for everyone.

This has caused me to reconsider the methods of operation for a few things. Free memberships have been advertised in many different places. I had done this because I simply enjoyed it. To many it appeared as "recruiting" new cheaters, and in essence that's really what it was. I agree with them.

The idea of "recruiting" is really outside of the bounds of the reason I started the site. I apologize to the Emu community. As I stated I wanted an Emu specific resource to replace the Live specific resources available out there. One of those is MQ. I never intended to convert people into cheaters, only provide to those who currently are. I understand that this probably does not make a bit off difference to the ones that are upset, but I urge you to understand that the aim of this site is to not convert people but to provide as many services to as many people as possible.

In the future I will no longer be giving out free memberships in public places. I hope this will slightly please the "purists" though I know it wont be enough for them. For that I apologize. I wish there would be a way to make everyone happy, but this site will always be open, and provide services to everyone. We will never close our doors to any player group.

I would like it very much if this could be a step in the direction of resolving any bad blood that has formed since the inception of this site.

EDIT: I also intend on adding some warning information about what plugins are legal to use on what servers, but to be honest aside from knowing that VZ/TZ allows nothing I don't really know what is allowed where. I figured I could add information to each plugins documentation and perhaps make several builds labeled for the server they are intended for. If anyone has any information about what is legal, and where it would be of great use. Also if any of the "purists" have any ideas, short of taking the plugins down, they will be considered.
Sat May 16, 2009 5:47 pm
Co-Founder (Retired)
i read the posts on here, and on the eqemu forums. i figure the truth is always scattered around in bits and pieces and its up to the people to decide based on the available information.

granted like you, i understand both points of view. nobody wants to see their hardwork busted up, regardless of what they're working on. but theres always a middle ground, and real adults will always see that.
Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 pm
Check your PMs Conquistador.
Sat May 16, 2009 10:01 pm
General Re-considering things.