General MQ2NetAdvPath
MQ2NetAdvPath
I don't appreciate something based on my plug-in being sold, or distributed to non-VIP members of MacroQuest2.com forum. I hereby request that you remove this plug-in from your service. If you don't do that, at least name it something else. REMOVED Removing a few lines of it, calling it yours, and profiting is completely bullshit.

I'd also like to remind you of the licensing of MacroQuest2 -- you are required to post source code if you redistribute in binary form. So your member download of a pre-compiled MQ2, is in violation of the original license. Third-party plug-ins, obviously don't fall into this category.

It's nice that you're making a community effort to bring people together, but this site is a little discouraging to every effort I've made on ProjectEQ to make MQ2 legitimate.
Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 pm
I didn't just cut out snippets of your code. The only thing that remains is you're dofwd routine which i believe you took from moveutils in the first place. I will change the name on it though as you requested. I cut it from about 1000 lines down to 150, then I rewrote them cause it still seemed messy. I don't intend that as an insult, just to illustrate that none of your code is left in that plugin, just your concept, which I don't think it was originally your idea either.

So are you upset that the concept you got from someone else is being used, or is it that the name you took from two different existing utilities and combined(like mqemulator) is being use.
Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:33 am
Co-Founder (Retired)
I also forgot to mention that I find it odd that you used to be the#1 source of cheats on PEQ, and now you ride in on a white stalion to fix things. There a dozen people duping and transfering no drop items between characters using information either discovered or at least forwarded by you. There were people duping entire corses full of gear using the overflow you either found or forwarded.

It is interesting that you now seem so upset with anyone who isnt legit. I'm unclear on what it is about cheating on a game you find so distastefull. Do you also get upset when someone cheats on the sunday morning crossword?

I know you are conceited and have a high sence of self-importance, and I don't mean to feed that, but I'm glad to see you on my site. It lets me know that the word is getting out.

It's nice that you're making a community effort to bring people together

Thanks for seeing that when others havent.
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 am
Co-Founder (Retired)
I started on PEQ legit, and argued with Ylosh all the time about legit uses of MQ2. I actually started manual boxing, to prove to the community that it doesn't give me an advantage (9 box NToV, Numlek got a chuckle when I steam rolled aary, but wiped on four Zyereks) When cavedude adopted the project, and MQ2 became absolutely part of the rules (and not, 'Train this guy if he's running MQ2') I still stood behind my original ideals. I left the country for a while, came back, and saw people like Maudigan, Flabby, Drakk and friends with an abundance of duplicated gear. I watched Maudigan get unbanned so many times, I pretty much thought the server might as well be ruleless, and there's no point wasting time in anything but defeating EQEmulator. Severely flawed semantic logic. I even released a world server exploit (remote buffer overflow, and I urge to this day EQEMU people run it in a jail environment if they're on Linux, someone may have also ported it to win32 shellcode for all I know) to two people as proof of concept. I started going over the source code with a fine tooth comb, and found quite a bit of errors. I told WildcardX about them as I found them, nothing changed. I could have submitted the changes myself, but I was afraid to post them publicly for abuse reasons. I told those same two in a conversation about how easy it is to break EQEMU, supposed "trusted" people, they told their friends, their friends told their friends. It got out of hand, it was no longer a sandbox, it was an ocean. I sent a PM to WildcardX again and cavedude about the list of things wrong, and how to fix them. I asked if there was anything I could do to make it up for the can of worms I opened... I requested my accounts (the entire 28, plus 6 mules) be banned but none of the associated accounts to be banned. Instead, to be given leniency because I instigated the exploits. I made a mistake, and I came clean. I never hid this fact from anyone in the community. There is no semanticist argument here unless you're incredibly dense and like to chase your tail in simple academia rather than the real world.

Watching people run faster than GM on TZ/TV, or continue to run from me while they were mezzed really showed me what kind of effect cheating has in a small community like this. It's not a single player game.

The thing that actually upsets me about the cheating on PEQ, isn't so much the act of it, but the fact that people cheat then report feedback on encounters to be tweaked. Seru for example had his HP boosted because some numbnuts walled him one too many times. Then Seru ended up being bound to his room. We're deviating from live, because people can't accept the server is legit for a reason. It's human nature to lie, to deceive, to be selfish, but there are a BUNCH of other servers that people can do that on all day. PEQ's charter has always been for database development, the added "omg he hax" stress on the world builders is slowing progression. It's also causing a large group of players to leave, possibly taking a few crucial developers with it. I'd hate to see the server close it's doors to the public after all this time!

In fact, that brings me to a fantastical idea. Hardcode ProjectEQ server disabled in your warp plug-in so you aren't contributing to the problem :twisted: As you know, server-side no one can tell which version of MQ2 the user is running, but at least this way if it is yours, stock, or mine.... the damage can be mitigated.
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm
Cheating is bad but in my opinion whining is much worst.
Aka
Captain Flabby
Aka
MC Aquafresh
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:30 pm
I'll not be disabling PEQ in the emuwarp code. Frankly I don't see how feeling guilty about realeasing things that could be used not only to crash a zone but to actually inject malicious code into 30 or 40 different peoples machines and go beyond cheating in a game makes you less of a hypocrite. Feeling guilty doesnt make you noble. Realeasing this level of cheat to just two "trusted" people doesnt make you noble. It makes you someone who releases the level of information that can cause serious damage to many peoples servers.

I know your not a an idiot when it comes to coding, so I'm not explaining this for your benefit. The remote overflow you found, with a little work, could have been used to inject and run any kind of personal code anyone wanted... and you told people about it. Now you're going to come here and complain about warping... really? You're going to come here and complain cause one of our plugins uses 5 lines of your code that you took from someone elses plugin in the first place, and shares a name.... really?

Itchy, take your personal hypocritical war and your big fancy city words elsewere cause I'm not buying. You might as well be on a bicycle with a shortsleeve white button up and a black tie peddling the word of jesus at my doorstep.

I will change the name on netadvpath, and I will post the MQ binary, but if your coming here trying to get me to change my practices. I'd sooner be told to stop drinking alcohol by a heroin addict.

EDIT: I do want you to know I don't hate you or anything, nor do I wish to continue arguing or debating any of these points with you. I have my position and you are aware of it. You have your position and I'm aware of it. I'm glad to have you active on my site in ANY form. Thats why its here. So any one can come and use the tools, or chat. I do want to re-iterate, after reading you're post on peq, that nothing in the netadvpath is yours. Download it and run it if you don't believe me. No offense to your coding cause from what I understand your pretty decent, but man you wen't about that plugin all wrong. I tried running it and toons were running soooo slow. They would get caught in geometry constantly. There was no way to clear points, no soft stop. This isn't your plugin. Its the idea I stole, which wasn't your original idea in the first place. Get over it... Get over yourself.
Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 am
Co-Founder (Retired)
General MQ2NetAdvPath