General Move item charge failed
Move item charge failed
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this message means?

"Move item charge failed in client application"

I sometimes get this message just after a character completes his login & is game ready. I am using UF client and I don't see an appreciable affect on the game play.

Thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. When the message does appear, it may be 1 - 3 repeated lines.

Btw, I searched the Forums using the search bar, but I rarely have any results. So I am sorry if I am rehashing an old post.

Thanks.
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 am
It may not be a MQ2 issue. A google search for that phrase turns up posts on the official Sony EQ forums. It looks like it's part of the client.

The search bar at the top of the page searches the game database, not the forums. To search the forums, click on Forum Search at the bottom of the page.
Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:41 pm
Senior Project Member
I looked through the server code, the MQ code, did a text search through the UF eq files, and looked through the decompiled EQ client. Grumble is right, it's highly unlikely to be related to MQ--not impossible--so I didn't spend a ton of time trying to figure out what's up.

In <everquest>/eqstr_en.txt you will find, on line 895, 1389 MOVE ITEM CHARGE FAILED IN CLIENT APPLICATION.

I looked in the eqclient.exe and found the routine that prints that message. There was only one, and it was too large to view as a flowchart (which makes it easier to read) so I just briefly scrolled through it. At a quick glance it looked to be stuff that was executed between connecting to the world and connecting to the zone. I'm not really familiar with how the server/client do the logging in process, but my guess (seriously, this is a guess and likely wrong), is that the server is populating your characters information when you log in, but is sending you some information about the charges on an item that the client knows shouldn't be possible. Like and item with 102 charges or -1 charges or something like that.

The text gets printed to the screen if a specific function returns a 0. That functions returns a 0 in like half a dozen different scenarios where it is validating information about your characters profile. If your server operator wants to peek around at that function and try to break down exactly what is happening its at 0x00490240 in eqclient.exe--assuming I didn't make a mistake.

If you're on a custom server it would seem to be even more likely that that is the case. Those guys really push the client to it's limit to add interesting effects to the game.

If it were me I'd try putting all my gear on a corpse in a different zone, then log out and back in to see if I still got the message. It would probably be easier to come at it from this trouble shooting side than reversing the client.
Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:02 pm
Project Lead
Thanks Grumble. I never looked at the links at the bottom of the page for a forum search option. I Google everything, why didn't I Google this message, lol.

I am playing on the THF server. Quite often items that are expendable and with limited charges on Live are unlimited charges on THF.

Thanks Maudigan for looking through the code. I will play around with some of the items and see what I can find out. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to affect game play.

Sorry for assuming it was an MQ2 issue and not a server issue. I hate that I wasted your time :(

**Update** Logged in a few minutes ago and no message this time.
Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 am
General Move item charge failed