General map changes
map changes
ultrax was kind enough to send us some missing GoD maps. I added them and first one I checked , barindu, showed up blank. All the map lines were white. This led to a new map change. All the MAP lines only will have a very light grey dropped shadow now. This gives the maps a faint 3d depth to them, and white lines will now be visible i think it looks rather nice =)
Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:33 pm
Project Lead
I found this info on changing map colors:
"Another solution is to change the color of the map lines. Each line on the map appears like this in the map file .txt.

L -757, 707, -4, -755, 712, -4, 153, 153, 153

The L means it is a Line, the first 3 numbers are the starting coordinate, next 3 are the ending coordinate, and the last 3 are the line color. In this example, 153, 153, 153 is that gray color.

I use Notepad to open the file and then do a find and replace to change all 153, 153, 153 to 0, 0, 0. This changes it all to black. It is easy to see when the map is normal and when it is faded."

I will be looking for this now. I will submit more maps that are missing as I correct them. All of LDON I am working on looks fine except for 1 map.
Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 am
Listen to This Guy
I also noticed that the .txt opens up nicly in xls for editing also. But it adds xtra characters and such. The program TextPad worked perfectly. I use it for Linux stuff.
Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:36 am
Listen to This Guy
I'm famliar with the number layout. The website and the map plugin crunch those values. I could have modified the page to automatically turn the lines white, I just figured the shadow wasnthe easiest method and would probably make it look cooler anyway :P

I got your other pack of maps, I'll post them up tonight. I don't recall if I mentioned it but the GoD updates have been made. I didn't play after POP for more than a couple weeks, never even entered a god zone. If you notice some new info that could be displayed on maps/zones/npcs/whatever let me know. I don't even play eqemu anymore so I'm totally in the dark now :P
Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:57 pm
Project Lead
I was out a little late tonight. My damn wife met me at best buy where she promptly lost her car keys. Luckily she had a spare, unluckily it was locked in the car. After about 2 hours of searching I decided to look in the trashcan out front. There they were in some strangers sonic cup... she threw them away with a water bottle she tossed.

Long story short... I'm home, and posted the new maps you sent. I saw 2 more zip files. One with LDoN maps, another with fixes for some broken maps. They are both active.

I wouldn't worry about altering the white lines. I'm really digging the dropped shadow, it gives the maps a higher quality look. I also wanted to go back through the map script and apply some of the things I learned while working on the map plugin for MQ. The fonts need to be cleaner, and there are some things I learned to make them more readable when jumbled.

I had also considered making some alternate perspective views that put the maps into 3d... probably wont do it, but been considering it.
Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm
Project Lead
all of the Gates of Discord maps are active now. I will submit them as PEQ keeps progressing.
Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 am
Listen to This Guy
Thanks for this, it helps alot

Edit: added a month of membership on the house
Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:23 pm
Project Lead
--> Maudigan

I think the downloadable maps from mapfiend.net suck. I can't see half the lines in some zones. I think you changed some of them to be more visable. Is this something you could add to the download section up to current (GOD)??
Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 am
Listen to This Guy
I can add them but I haven't edited them. The routine that generates the image adds a very faint dropped shadow and the scale is larger than in game. Is that maybe the diffrence?
Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 am
Project Lead
I need to putz with this to figure out what is happening for me. In game half the lines are not showing for me in Kodtaz map level 1. I have to see if it is a display bug or a map color or what so I can address it.

At first I assumed it was the line color is light gray and I cant see it very well. I will try to get to this tonight.
Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:51 am
Listen to This Guy
Loaded in a different map and it displays nicely now. I see something "sorts" the txt file. I had a file without any carrige returns. After MQ2 and EQ are fired up, something sorts the txt file to start each line with the "L" and end with a carrige return. 1 line per entry.

There are some zones like PoK that have tons of random straight lines added to the file for some reason. I think I have been putting up with this for a year or so, so it is nothing new. Just weird how some of my map txt files got lines removed and extra lines added to some zones.
Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am
Listen to This Guy
I think I misunderstood, is this in mq2emumap?
Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm
Project Lead
No, just the standard Sony/EQ/Maps dir
Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am
Listen to This Guy
General map changes