General Wiimote plugin, Alpha testers needed, free membership
Wiimote plugin, Alpha testers needed, free membership
Ok so I wrote the framework for a plugin last night, a wiimote bridge. It's only input right now, (no rumble, speakers, LEDs), also no motion control yet. It's basically functioning as an original Nintendo remote. I want it to be customizable but that requires me knowing how people would use it... For example at first I simply designed a command to be set in the ini which would then be executed when pressing a button.

After implementation and testing it became obvious that there needed to be a command for a button release too; button down makes you run, button up makes you stop. Also it became clear that a "turbo" or repeat function was needed, and then a repeat delay.

That's the extent of it right now but I need loads more input from users. You don't have to volunteer for testing to give input, feel free to speak up, but if you'd like to test it let me know. You'll need at the very least a wiimote, and a PC with Bluetooth. SoD client is oreffered but i can compile other versions. I tried a MacBook and it worked great. I'll set you up with a free membership if you can help out with some testing and decent feedback.

As this develops I'll add motion plus, nun chuck, roll, etc. I think pitch/yaw and any kind of cursor control use the IR sensor bar; I'm unsure if it's worth adding support since I don't imagine most people want to move they're wii and the sensor bar to their computer...

This will ultimately behave as a layer between EQ and the wiimote. Allowing you to make the wiimote do whatever (nearly) you want. So feedback can be quite broad. If the A button works well for Jump with a repeat delay of 2000, let me know. If you want the rumble pack to thump as your character runs and there is no existing MQ command/logic to accomplish, let me know--and maybe I'll add it. If you think nobody will use the balance board to play EQ... Let me know. Beyond acting as a bridge between EQ/wiimote there will have to bee some TLO and slash commands added, like some sort of timer function to facilitate flashing LEDs and footstep rumbles. So feedback about TLO and slash commands would be good too.

One final note, this is an Alpha, actually more like pre-alpha, Expect it to be buggy and very lacking.
Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:01 pm
Project Lead
General Wiimote plugin, Alpha testers needed, free membership