General Looking for help with underwater combat
Looking for help with underwater combat
Trying to figure out the best way to adjust fire on my macros when dealing with underwater combat.
I might be inside the MaxRangeTo on the X/Y but to high/low on the Z to melee.
Usually I do not get the "target to far away" spam when just to far away on the Z.
Right now I utilize a moveback check on distance so my dps are never closer then my tank so the ghetto Z distance check with a moveto loc would just spam move me forward and back.
Any suggestions on how to combat this issue?
Maybe move the moveback check out of the main combat and instead pull a call on that check every 5seconds so I can use a Z distance calculation and call move to loc if to far away?

Any suggestion would be welcome. I'll test it no matter what it is and post back whatever code ends up working the best for me.
edit: btw any idea why it seems the max range to hit is not the same on the Z plane as it is on the X/Y ?
Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:17 am
Listen to This Guy
Did you ever figure this out Warmonger?

I'm having issues with underwater combat as well and will be making adjustments today to combat them. We're probably talking apples and apples here so I'll toss out what I intend to do as a fix and see if we can help each other.

Currently, I issue my melee bots:

//target ID ${Target.ID}
//stick 5 !front uw
//killthis

... and they swim on past the target, gradually correct course and sometimes never make it back to the fight. (Too far away) (Can't see the target) etc... or even worse they end up in front of the targ and take ramp damage... and die.

The only slight fix I can come up with from my limited knowledge is to try:

//stick 10 behind hold uw
//killthis

Dunno if this will work or not. Just the next step for me ti try today. I'll report back later. Please let me know if you come up with anything different that might work.
Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 am
I'll have to find the previous attempt I was working with, I've since wrote it out and use a new method, but it involved math calc against but X/Y radi distance and Z radi distance.
However I have distance checks on the alts to keep them further away from the target then my tank which would kick in my moveback.
Only mention that because I keep the alts in first person view and STICK UW.
So when they are even 1 distance higher or lower on the Z (damn underwater combat) and get to close they would moveback. As they are looking up or down at the target it moves them on the Z and not the X/Y.
I'm trying to figure out a way to instead make them pick up the targets Y,X,Z and the idea is to have them move away on the X/Y while getting onto the same Z value then move back into combat.
Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:09 pm
Listen to This Guy
I don't use a full blown .mac to control combat (just the /melee plugin and /stick) so my note may be of no use to you, but what I did discover yesterday was encouraging.

I set their combat distance to 10 and used /stick behind to avoid the ramp damage while running 1st person on my MT/Control toon up close and had one death to a bot in 7 hours. That is opposed to the previous day where I spent more time ressing than I did fighting. What I found to be the best method for avoiding those deaths while assuring that everyone got into the fight (on the stationary mobs) was to align my crew on the same X axis before engaging. It's a work around and doesn't solve your stated question, but the results were very positive.

as a side note... I replaced zerker and rogue with ranger and wizard the results were very encouraging. Today I plan on removing the Wiz in favor of another ranger and more consistent DPS.
Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 pm
I did notice improvement if I could keep the characters on the same X axis so what I currently have is a check against that before combat can be engaged and I use a common illusion item on every character so I do not have to worry about race size factoring in.
I have a new version of the macro I'm using thats more then ready for public use but this small issue and another are bugging me and I wanted to try to get a decent fix in.
Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:36 am
Listen to This Guy
General Looking for help with underwater combat