General Out-of-game Chat System
Out-of-game Chat System
I know that you will want to protect those in-game from spam.

My idea is to be able to "log into" your character from a web browser or something and be able to chat just like in-game.

There have been several times that I would've loved to chat with some people in-game (i.e. to Greenmachine) to figure out what the guild was doing when I was at work (or not at work <=0B).

If you need/want help writing this, I don't mind offering my time. I am a web developer at MicroAssist.com and am willing to help (for free, of course).

I got hired because of my PHP experience, but now transitioning to the ASP .Net side of the house.

Thanks!

Brandon
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 pm
I had something similar to this setup with just a macro awhile back. The issue lies in you have to have your toon logged in for sure. OR have some sort of master toon that everyone uses which has its own set of problems.

Are you wanting a solution where you leave your toon logged in at home? I could setup an IRC client on the site here, and then using MQ2IRC and a macro, or a custom plugin you can comm. The other option would be to write a PHP based EQBC client. I would be happy to host either solution on the site here.

I used the MQ2IRC + a macro + iphone irc client OR a windows mobile irc client when I had a PDA to accomplish this. The downside with IRC and the mobile devices is chat isn't spooled when you aren't logged in. So... you get 50 tells when your phone is sleeping and you don't ever receive them.

Another more unlikely mod would be an eqemu mod... that would potentially allow you to chat when not logged in... Something where you send an IRC message, the server picks it up, and then sends it as a on screen message to the person intended. The downside to that is there is no super clean way to validate ownership of an account without routing through the login server first. The game server, peq for example, doesn't have access to your password to verify its you so it would almost have to be annonymous.

I think the best sollution would be a custom php-eqbc client, and an eqbc plugin that works in tandem. You hop on the site here, type in your IP address and perhaps a password, connect to the eqbc server you have running at home. From there its just a matter of the plugin detecting the chat, and making your toon forward it and visa-versa.
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:18 pm
Project Lead
General Out-of-game Chat System