General How to get started with plugin development
How to get started with plugin development
I've written a lot of macro code, but I dislike it compared to more traditional programming languages, so I was hoping to switch over to plugin development. I was wondering the best way to go about it.

In particular:
* Do I just need to download the MQ2 source version on mqemulator.net and then compile the plugins as is documented elsewhere?
* I will likely want to build off of some non-included plugins like MQ2NetBots. Where would I get the EMU version of the source for plugins?
* If I want to distribute my plugin to others, would they be able to just drop the dll into their MQ2 directory, or do the MQ2 compile and the plugin compile need to be the same?
* Any advice for a new plugin developer?

For context, I'm using the RoF2 client on PEQ, and my plugin would just be for supporting multiple bots.

Thanks!
Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:24 pm
In the downloads section --> Macroquest Source --> choose client to download the zip.

Then open the zip and follow the guide / instructions located in the file MQ2PluginDevelopment.html

The plugin *.cpp are located in the Plugin Developers Section of the forum.
Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:42 am
Listen to This Guy
I added you to the dev forum, most of what you need should be in there.

General advice is difficult.... Generally if you want to do it, someone has already done something similar in another plugin. In implementing your ideas you'll have to snoop through others work. Depending on how comfortable you are with how compilers work behind the scenes some of it can be overwhelming, but following the existing patterns and it'll work even if it doesn't make sense. I still revisit things I wrote ten years ago that I had no idea how it worked, and only now do I get it. Some of it is so enigmatic that I know I've walked through a process and understood it, but it's just so huge And complicated that I can't remember it and just accept that a piece of code works....

If you're going to get exotic, check out IDA pro.
Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm
Project Lead
Also, we kinda try to help people use MQ who aren't developers so the developer forum isn't exactly bustling with activity... I'm happy to help though.
Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:41 pm
Project Lead
Cool, thanks a bunch!

I hope I won't need to disassemble anything myself, but I'll certainly keep IDA Pro in mind if I do :)
Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 pm
General How to get started with plugin development