Errors Issue with mq2itemdisplay
Issue with mq2itemdisplay
Hi there...

I am using SOD client and playing on Stormhaven server. There is an item on that server that goes into your charm slot. It is either called Faydwer Relic or Titanium Relic depending on which path you are taking. Anyway, when I load up my client, press alt to see the names on the spell gems, it lists each and every one of them as this items name
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic
Faydwer Relic

which is kinda funky.
I have narrowed it down to mq2itemdisplay plugin.

On another server, The Hidden Forest, I have a similar issue also narrowed down to the same plugin. On this server, there is an item in my ear slot and it is called a Sphere of Encased Flame. However here.. it shows that name on all my pets puffs.

Any ideas? Any extra info ya need?
Thanks
R
Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 pm
Do you have a custom UI?

I didn't know mq2itemdisplay actually did anything with the spell gems. You're talking about the floating text that pops up on the spell gems when you hover over it right, not something in the window that comes up when you inspect the spell.
Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:54 pm
Project Lead
No, it is the default UI. And yes, it is the floating text next to the spell gems. Pretty odd, eh?
Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:24 pm
Oh, one more bit of info I forgot about.. both of these items have click effects. I do think that has something to do with it.
Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm
That is pretty bizzare. The way strings of text work in c++ can cause some pretty wonky behavior when something doesn't go quite right so it's not entirely crazy. Ill take a look at it but its fairly low priority unless its really bothering you.
Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 pm
Project Lead
Well.. it is kinda nice to be able to tell what is in your spell gems. I will take a look around and see if I can come up with a custom UI that will fix the problem. If you can fix it tho, well..that would be great. I can't believe I am the only one with this issue.
Thanks
R
Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 pm
Do the items and effects share a name? My real question I guess is, is the spell gem tooltip showing the name of the item or the name of the spell effect on the item? Is there any other info appended onto it either, like recast delay or anything or just the name and that's it...

Edit: one more! Those particular items that are confusing the plugin, do they have recast timers? If the tooltip shows up as something like "Faydwer Relic (ready)" I might have a good guess but I haven't done any tests yet--working from my ipad right now.

Edit: man, I don't know that I'll be able to spot it from just looking at the code, it's a pretty well written, cleanly constructed plugin.... I was expecting to find it being a result of text remnants in the stack but the author handed for that. I think I'll need to get in and recreate it, but I'm not familiar with those servers or items. What's the easiest way to recreate it?
Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:00 am
Project Lead
Yes, the text that floats over the spell gem does say, Faydwer Relic (Ready).

As for recreating it, I suppose loading up SOD client and making a character on Stormhaven would be the easiest way. Then do a 1 minute quest in Crushbone to get the relic and Viola! As soon as you equip the relic, it changes the text over the spellgems.
Let me know if you need any help..
Thanks
R
Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:35 am
Sure thing. What it looks like is, when a tooltip is displayed it checks the tooltip text, and tries to find an item who's name matches the tooltip text. If it finds an item that matches it, it sees if the item has a recast timer. If it does it replaces the tooltip with the item name and the recast timer state. For some reason the function that searches for item names is getting a false match for that spell gems text.

It's amazing nobody caught the issue till now... I guess items with recast timers aren't that common.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:49 am
Project Lead
Very strange. Both the servers I play on have lots of items like this. And most people are using MQ2 as far as I know.

I had thought that when I had loaded up a custom UI that the problem went away, but I was apparently wrong. Same issue.

So, think you are going to be able to fix it easily now that you know what it is? I hope it won't be too much effort.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 am
Maybe :)
I know where it is, but the code looked good... I think I'll get it figured out.
Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 am
Project Lead
Fixed (hopefully!), I emailed a copy of the plugin to you. It's also in the SoD build now.
Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 pm
Project Lead
Woohoo! Yer a wizard, Harry!!

Thanks Maudigan.. that did the trick!
Very awesome...
Cheers
R
Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:43 am
Errors Issue with mq2itemdisplay