General MQ2 Default key binds unchangable?
MQ2 Default key binds unchangable?
Hey

TLDR: X and Z are bound to stuff I don't want, please point me in the direction of a permanent fix for it. Solutions tried: edit INI file (failed), issue /bind range clear (failed on persistency), delete relevant line in ini (failed)

I've got a rather maddening issue: X is bound to range and Z is bound to melee attack per default. I don't like that. At all. I use those keys for other things, and most annoyingly I use X for "cycle nearest NPC". The default bind, if I forget to change it, makes me target a mob and then arrow it in the face (not good when you just want to get the con level of stuff).

I've tried to edit the MacroQuest.ini -> does not work, the ini resets on zone, logout and whenever i log another char on (why is that? what's the point of having an ini file the resets without user intervention?).

Issuing the command /bind range clear will clear the binding for range attack for a while, but I have yet to find a way to persist this.

I've not been able to figure out where the /bind command comes from. The MMObugs documentation says it's not a CustomBinds command, and I've yet to figure out if any combination of mashing my keyboard in anger prefixed by /custombind can actually delete the X and Z bindings.

So i guess I'm asking: which plugin is setting the binds? If it's mq2main, how do I make it accept my changes?
Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 am
I've never used it honestly. It's part of mq2main. Instead of clearing range have you tried binding the action you do want to the x and y? Something like

/bind cycletarget x

Cycltearget isn't the right keyword, I'm guessing for illustration. It looks like "/bind enlist" might reveal the right thing.

I didn't realize the distribution was altering the default keys, that's no good, even for demonstration purposes. That should be something people, as you would agree, have to seek out intentionally. When I get a chance I'll go in there and see if I can get it to not override the defaults.
Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:18 pm
Project Lead
I've not tried to bind the key to something else. I tried "/bind eqlist" and was spammed with a massive list of frankly, completely useless crap. There may be a way to filter the list, or the "dumpbinds" command might be helpful, I don't know.

I've had a cursory look at the code for binding keys, and it seems the only method that actually saves the INI file (from a /bind perspective) is SetMQ2KeyBind. I'm not sure if /bind <term> clear triggers a Set or a Remove call, but that could be worth investigating.

Doing a code-wide search for gszINIFilename, which is the global for the ini filename, I've come up empty on a place where it might be rewriting the ini from some default state.
Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 am
This is a long shot. Can you run MQ and EQ as an admin and see how it behaves.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:03 am
Project Lead
So sorry i forgot to report back on your suggested solution. That's bad form and I apologize.

Running MQ2 as admin was a failure. But I think that is because of Windows 10. I run as a standard user, and starting MQ2 as admin won't let it inject into EQ running without privileges. And since I am a standard user (now on PEQ) I'd have to endure the UAC popup for every bot i load. So yeah, no :)

In the meantime I've started playing a bard as main, and the cyclenpctargets /range attack overlap has been less of an issue. The macro I've created to control the bots just starts with /bind cyclenpctargets x in the setup routine, and it works but still not consistently.
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 am
From the mq2melee wiki. http://www.macroquest2.com/wiki/index.php/MQ2Melee

Like a lot of the wiki's, what are valid entries is as clear as mud /grin

iirc I just left the values blank

MeleeKeys=
RangeKeys=
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional Global INI File

MQ2Melee also has 3 global (not character specific) parameters that can be set in a second, optional INI file. MQ2Melee uses default values for these parameters unless it finds a file named MQ2Melee.ini that you created in the same directory. Here is an example of a MQ2Melee.ini file and a description of the parameters:

[Settings]
SpawnType=10
MeleeKeys=z
RangeKeys=x

SpawnType: 0 + all desired target type modifier: (+1 PC) (+2 NPC) (+4 PC PET) (+8 NPC PET) (+16 PC CORPSE) (+32 NPC CORPSE) default is 10 (0 for base + 2 for NPC and + 8 for NPC PET).

MeleeKeys: Melee Attack Key (not same as eq please unless you like problems) default is z.

RangeKeys: Range Attack Key default is x.
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:26 pm
Thank you.

I will look into it when I get home. I did not think to check the wiki pages for plugin documentation, i normally just siphon off mmobugs for that :)
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:19 am
I use MMObugs a lot also. It has very good documentation.
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:02 pm
General MQ2 Default key binds unchangable?