General A few questions.
A few questions.
As all encompassing as MQ2 is for some of us slower plebes, a few important things are hard to find. I know there is a sparse population left around here so hopefully this will be seen.

A few questions.

*When running a .mac, does it need to be ran every time you launch your client? Every time you wish for it to go active? For example, if I use a Cleric macro to heal my group at x% do I need to run it upon startup or when I need it to scan for characters to be that low on health.

*Is there somewhere that explains what terms are within the code and how they apply? For instance #turbo?

*What are the difference between plugins and macros? Could I further customize plugins like say MQ2melee for a custom server? (THF)

Thank you for any/all input.
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:35 pm
Most macros have a loop that runs over an over. Onside that loop it checks the HP of your group and heals, for example. There are other, less common macros, that only do 1 thing and then finish. Both types need to be started after you log in, but the loop type keeps running until you make it stop. You can however use the automacro plugin to make a macro automatically start when you log in.

Plugins are written in c++ and get injected directly into the Everquest code. So they're running in the same logical space on your computer. In that way a plugin has access to all the data and code that EQ has access to. It's a shitload of data and code and can be confusing. Very confusing. The benefit is you're kind of main-lined into the process and your talking to EQ at a very primitive and fast level. One of the features provided by the plugins is macros.

They get run, on the fly, as English-like text. That takes a lot of effort to convert that text into actions. There's also a limit on how many lines of a macro can get run for every frame of animation... it's a lot easier to write, but it's a lot slower and your limited to the tasks that plugins have been written to provide.

Generally speaking plugins are written to provide commands and/or access to data for macros to use. Then macros are written for individual behaviors that players are after. I guess... if it's something everyone does every time.. like circle strafe for backstab, then it's done in a plugin. If it's something more specific, a macro.

I still reference the manual a lot but I think it may be a little outdated and has been abandoned for the wiki

http://www.macroquest2.com/includes/wassup/manual.php
http://www.macroquest2.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:42 am
Project Lead
General A few questions.